What Is The Mommy Makeover Procedure?A mommy makeover procedure – also known as post-pregnancy surgery – is combination of cosmetic procedures such as breast surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty that are intended to correct and/or reverse changes in a woman’s body resulting from pregnancy. The main benefit that a mommy makeover provides is helping a woman restore her body to its original shape and beauty faster. The body changes that will benefit from a mommy makeover include the following:
- Weight gain and fat deposition in the abdomen
- Protruding abdomen that is also caused by the weakness and separation of abdominal muscles during pregnancy
- Loose, sagging breasts
- Skin changes, including melasma, spider veins, stretch marks, and acne
Breast RejuvenationBreast rejuvenation refers to procedures that will restore the shape and youthful perk of the breasts following pregnancy. Some women will have these surgeries done as part of their Mommy Makeover package to improve the size and shape of their breasts, the appearance of which they are already unhappy with prior to getting pregnant. The main breast enhancement procedures are…
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy): elevates drooping breast tissue to give the breasts a rounder, perkier appearance
- Breast Reduction: done on women with large breasts, this procedures involves removal of excess fat and glandular tissues, and tightening the skin of the breasts.
- Breast Augmentation: involves the placing of an implant to make the breasts rounder and fuller
Body ContouringBody contouring involves altering the shape of a woman’s body after pregnancy. In general, this is accomplished by the removal of excess fat and skin in order to restore the body to its youthful, shapely appearance. In some cases, fat may be transferred to other parts of the body that are deemed deficient in appealing curves and contours. The most popular Mommy Makeover body contouring procedures are…
- Liposuction: removal of excess fat deposits in the body using a suction device
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): the procedure first involves the removal of excess fat in the abdomen (liposuction may be used). Excess skin is then excised and and the remaining skin stretched over the abdomen in order to give it a smooth, flat appearance.
- Fat Grafting: involves harvesting fat tissues from one part of the body where there are excess fats and transferring it to another location in order to create better volume, curves and contours
Laser TreatmentLaser treatments are performed in order to treat skin blemishes that have developed during and still persist after pregnancy. These procedures include:
- Scar Management: involves laser, corticosteroid, and other treatments to manage scars resulting from a caesarean section and/or a Mommy Makeover plastic surgery, like the tummy tuck
- Pigmentation Management: involves laser or intense pulsed light treatments to remove facial blemishes, such as melasma (“the mask of pregnancy”)
- Skin Rejuvenation: also known as laser resurfacing, this involves the correction of skin problems arising from hormonal changes in pregnancy. Skin conditions that will benefit from this procedure include acne, spider veins, and scars.
Stretch MarksThere are a variety of treatment modalities to improve the appearance of stretch marks. With Dr Woo’s years of experience consulting in KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital – the largest maternity hospital in Singapore – he is able to offer a full range of non-invasive and minimally-invasive treatments for patients.
The ProcedureA Mommy Makeover is a highly niche area in plastic surgery. As such, it is important to approach a Ministry of Health (MOH) certified plastic surgeon, who has experience in this area. Once a patient has found her plastic surgeon of choice, the first consultation will include a thorough medical history and physical examination. Based on his/her findings, the doctor will recommend the best combination of treatments for the Mommy Makeover package. Some plastic surgeons may have the latest in 3D imaging software which allows them to show patients a computer produced image of how their body would look following treatment. Here at Evan Woo Breast and Plastic Surgery, we offer Crisalix, which is the world’s leading virtual reality 4D and 3D plastic surgery imaging & business solution, providing simulations for plastic procedures such as breast augmentations. Dr Woo works closely with nutrition and physical training consultants to ensure that patients are in optimum condition for their Mommy Makeover surgery.
Recovery ProcessImmediately after surgery, a drain will be placed to remove blood and other fluids. Women should expect a downtime of up to two weeks. In this first week, the area may be painful, sore and tender, gradually decreasing as each day passes. Adequate analgesia will be given for maximum patient comfort. Aside from surgical wound and drain care, the patient may be given antibiotics to prevent the development of infection. Arm exercises and stretching will be taught to improve mobility and function. Heavy lifting and strenuous physical activities are prohibited during the first two weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work within two weeks. Routine follow ups will be scheduled to check on the progress of healing. Therapy will be initiated to optimise the scar outcome.
Currently, Dr Evan is one of a handful of surgeons in Singapore able to offer both the full range of options in breast cancer removal (lumpectomy / breast conservation surgery / oncoplastic breast surgery), and the full gamut of reconstructive options after both breast removal or breast conservation surgery (including use of perforator flap-free tissue transfer). This ensures a truly integrated and comprehensive breast surgery practice.